Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thank you, Finger Lakes Institute!

On November 19th, I attended the 7th Annual Finger Lakes Research Conference at Hobart and Williams Smith Colleges, and brought with me a prepared poster on the study I've been participating in: A Preliminary Study of Black Bear Trail and Sign. The conference was very interesting, and I got to see some great verbal presentations, as well as some great posters! My job for the day was to stand by my poster during the break sessions between verbal presentations, and interact with the conference go-ers. I answered questions, talked bears, and explained my study. I had a great time.

I blogged about the study in another post: bears! And below is the poster I presented that day.




Throughout the day, apparently the student posters were being evaluated for "Best Student Poster", although I was unaware of this. Earlier today, I received this email:

Dear Alyssa,

As Community Outreach Coordinator of the Finger Lakes Institute at Hobart and William Smith Colleges, I would like to thank you for participating in our 7th Annual Finger Lakes Research Conference on November 19, 2011 in Geneva, NY. Our staff, supportive HWS faculty, and other representatives of academic institutions present that day have chosen you to receive the $100 cash award honoring the best student poster presentation.

Your poster, A Preliminary Study of Black Bear Trail and Sign, was well organized, clearly explained, and thoroughly studied and understood. As you answered questions of your project with confidence and accuracy, it was very noticeable that you have considerable knowledge of black bear behavior and sign. The entire poster presentation was a wonderful representation of your hard work.

I would like to announce your achievement to the Finger Lakes community this month. In order to develop a press release, please send me a brief biography and resume. Thank you for sharing your accomplishments with our audience and congratulations, Alyssa. Keep up the good work!


Sincerely,

Sarah A. Meyer

Community Outreach Coordinator
http://fli.hws.edu
Office: (315) 781-4382
Fax: (315) 781-4399
Finger Lakes Institute
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
601 S. Main Street
Geneva, NY 14456


This is such great recognition for the work I've put in this semester, and it's not even about the money! I'm very much looking forward to taking this study further.

Many, MANY thanks to my professor and friend, John Van Niel for the ideas, support, laughs, and drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and wishing to leave a comment! Unfortunately, due to a high number of spam comments being left under the "Anonymous" heading, I had to disable that feature. You may still leave a comment with a Gmail account, or under the OpenID option! I welcome comments, suggestions, stories, and tall tales!

~Alyssa