Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Camera trap mystery critter?

My friend Tyler has had multiple camera traps deployed on a chunk of land in Sharon, NY. He’s been working on a research project for our Mammalogy course, in which he was hoping to document all present species in the area.

He got the following 4 images, and asked my opinion of what animals were in them. I’ll acknowledge that YES there is a raccoon in the center of the images. He or she is feeding on bait that Tyler was using as lure.

But what else can you pick out? I think I know who else is there…but I’ll wait for comments before I reveal my suspicion.

Look close!

I’ll give you a hint: the other animal is not yet seen in this image… but is in the following 3 images.



This is the best image of both animals.

8 comments:

  1. Its an owl, I think, but I wouldn't even know where to start with species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it might be a tiny owl too?? Love those eyes glowing in the dark. I thought it came from behind the tree, then perched up higher to see over the branch?? Mystery quiz for sure. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to say an owl as well Can't really get a size perspective though. but looks small like a saw whet owl. No matter what, that is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely an owl, but I'm saying bigger than a saw whet. Awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Owl! And specifically, its likely a Barred Owl based on our species around here, and the general shape. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, an owl but can not tell what kind of owl. Do you know what he used for bait?

    I have a trail camera set up here on our property in the upstate SC mountains. check out some of my pictures; Trailcam Pictures

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and wishing to leave a comment! Unfortunately, due to a high number of spam comments being left under the "Anonymous" heading, I had to disable that feature. You may still leave a comment with a Gmail account, or under the OpenID option! I welcome comments, suggestions, stories, and tall tales!

~Alyssa