Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Dean's List, Camera Trapping, Winter Ecology & MORE!

Greetings from a very WARM and SUNNY Upstate NY. Yesterday it reached NEAR 60F here, and currently it is a balmy 48F. I am a spring, summer, and autumn typa-gal usually...but tomorrow I am leaving to go live at FLCC's Muller Field Station for a week long residential course focusing on: Unique Winter Ecological Adaptations. Everything from the itty bitty Peromyscus to the mighty Ursus are fair game for study as well as local plants. Unfortunately, with the mild temps and lack of snow...our study of the subnivean zone and winter tracking will be...not happening.

I'm still very much looking forward to hanging out with friends, fun teachers, and learning about nature in a beautiful place. The Muller Field Station is located at the south end of Honeoye (Honey-oye!) Lake and has a variety of habitats. Wetlands, uplands, fields, oh my!



What else? I just found out I got onto the Dean's List..hooray! Didn't expect it, forgot about it...nice surprise.

My cameras for my research project came in this past week! I'd post pictures of them all...but they're currently packed in my car. I'm taking them with me this week to set them all out and make sure they're all in CORRECT working condition. It is in our (the Conservation Dept @ FLCC) experiences that Cudde's new Attacks dont have all the kinks worked out yet. If you are interested in learning more about what I'm going to be using them for click here: Research Methods in Biology. I should mention that the course I discuss in that posting has been cancelled due to lack of enrollment. Lucky for me though, the professor is willing and has gotten permission to advise me through the class as an independent study. Woo! So I received my cameras and all my accessories, and now I just need to wait for the semester to end.

I wish I had more to talk about, but instead of rambling I'll leave it off here! When I next check in it will hopefully be with some pictures from the Winter Eco course. I'll leave it off here with some pictures of what I was doing one year ago.



All of these were taken on the island of St. Thomas at Coki Beach. One of my best memories from the cruise I took last January!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and wishing to leave a comment! Unfortunately, due to a high number of spam comments being left under the "Anonymous" heading, I had to disable that feature. You may still leave a comment with a Gmail account, or under the OpenID option! I welcome comments, suggestions, stories, and tall tales!

~Alyssa