Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pea Island, NC & Cape Hatteras Adventures!



Yesterday (3/13/2012) was overcast and a bit drizzly, so we decided to get in the car and take a mini roadtrip south to Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge and to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. We had no idea where we were going (Thank you, Garmin for being my co-pilot!) and just drove, stopping here and there along Route 12 where ever looked interesting. This whole week has been dedicated to searching out wildlife and local "natural" places that we could explore, and we found some neat stuff! We've seen all of the mammal species, except one (bob-the-cat), that we set out to see, and countless birds, herps, and invertebrates!


Scallop shells, Oregon Inlet

Gull, Oregon Inlet

Oregon Inlet


Jellyfish

Mady and a little crab she found!




Unknown critter tracks...I want to say river otter. Thoughts?

Close-up of the same tracks.

Different mammal tracks on the left, Gull tracks on the right...



Sea urchin exoskeleton

Muskrat

Muskrat

Muskrat


The lighthouse! The last time I visited Cape Hatteras, the lighthouse was jacked up and in the process of being moved!




White-tailed deer fawn

WTD fawn...just about losing her spots!

The fawn checking me out!

Mom with a mouth full!

The fawn again!

Uknown cactus species

Another unknown species...found in the dunes, the first wildflower I've seen this season!

Uknown track

Same tracks...still unknown...

Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Cape Hatteras National Seashore



7 mile bridge


And that wraps up yesterday's adventures! I have a GREAT blog to write about today's experiences at ARNWR, but that will take some time to write and edit the pictures.

If anyone has any thoughts about the tracks, please share. I have my opinions, but I can't make sense of them. I'm confused about terrestrial possibly semi-aquatic (freshwater) mammals hanging out on the shore...any thoughts, do tell!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and wishing to leave a comment! Unfortunately, due to a high number of spam comments being left under the "Anonymous" heading, I had to disable that feature. You may still leave a comment with a Gmail account, or under the OpenID option! I welcome comments, suggestions, stories, and tall tales!

~Alyssa