Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Flying squirrel video

After the last couple of posts, I decided to go for something a bit more pleasant for ALL, on Christmas Eve.

Minty things seem to please all cats, 
domestic and wild, according to many 
forums I’ve read. SO, I found a catnip 
spray for pets on discount at the local 
farm and garden store, and used up 
the last bit of toothpaste on my set.
I set up my Bushnell Trophy Cam HD at my home in Schoharie about 3 weeks ago, and made a “set” to hopefully lure in bobcat. Well, that didn’t work. All I captured were white-tails, crows, cottontails, and this 1 flying squirrel video. It’s not the best, but if you watch it several times, you’ll get to see him. To make the “set” for bobcat, which is a term that trappers (camera and otherwise) use when describing the area around a trap (camera or otherwise). I used a few things I read bobcats would be interested in. See picture at right.

Over a year ago now, in September 2012, I camera-trapped a bobcat in my backyard. Even though I hung a feather (which is a known visual attractant for bobcats), I think he or she was just passing through and got a picture taken. It’s a great “first” for me, but I want more! Anyway, I’ll ALWAYS take pictures or video of a flying squirrel. They are certainly a favorite of mine. For more information about them, please peruse my other flying squirrel entries.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Blessed 2014!

(by the way…the date and time are WAY off…I changed batteries and forgot to reset it!)


3 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa, Christmas greetings to you and yours. Your flying squirrel, a bit like the baby blackbirds here, I know where they are, but no photos yet. I saw you wee animal the second time round , lovely.. Cheers, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool! Merry Christmas to you and your family Alyssa! "-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Alyssa! Good luck with the bobcat lures. I had a friend give me some catnip to try once, and the cats didn't even seem to notice it...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and wishing to leave a comment! Unfortunately, due to a high number of spam comments being left under the "Anonymous" heading, I had to disable that feature. You may still leave a comment with a Gmail account, or under the OpenID option! I welcome comments, suggestions, stories, and tall tales!

~Alyssa